Prophetic Signs That we are in the End Times- 2010’s Disasterson May 28th, 2010 Posted in End Times
Update: Most recent disasters were added to the list below on 9/3/10.
The scriptures provide us with plenty of descriptions of the prophetic events that will signal that we are living in the end times, and the signs that tell us of the coming tribulation.
Let’s take a close look at the end times disasters of 2010 which show us that Bible prophecy is being fulfilled (this article will be constantly updated so as to be complete and accurate).
Jesus warned us, “So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.” (Mark 13:23, NIV) Best we pay attention as world events unfold which are too telling to dismiss.
We can see the types of world events to look for by reading closely verses in the Bible books of Mark, Luke, and Revelation in which they describe the signs in the end times prophecies.
Types of Disasters in the End Times
Earthquakes, Lightning, Thunder and Famine: “There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines.” (Mark 13:8, NIV)
“There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.” (Luke 21:11, NIV)
“Then the angel took the censer and filled it with fire from the altar and threw it on the earth, and there were peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning, and an earthquake.” (Revelation 8:5, ESV)
Tsunamis, Hurricanes: “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.” (Luke 21:25, NIV)
Wars: ”Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.” (Mark 13:8, NIV)
2010 Severe Natural & Other Major Disasters
Let’s take a look at the natural disasters that have been occurring more frequently lately, specifically in 2010. I’ve only included earthquakes in the list that are magnitude 7.0 or greater (data courtesy of the USGS). It’s interesting to note that 2 of the earthquakes listed below are in the top 10 biggest and deadliest earthquakes of the last 100 years.
The major disasters of 2010 are listed below, from newest to oldest:
- 9/3/10 7.2 mag earthquake Christchurch, New Zealand
- 6/15/10 Flood and flash flood advisories in 12 US states: Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Iowa, Nebraska, North & South Dakota, Idaho (Advisory map shown below from National Weather Service)
- 6/16/10 Earthquake 7.0 mag North Coast of Papua, Indonesia
- 6/14/10 Flash flooding in 59 counties of Oklahoma – 136 injured, interstate highways submerged, power outages
- 6/12/10 Earthquake 7.5 mag Nicobar Islands, India
- 5/27/10 Earthquake 7.1 mag Vanuatu
- 5/21/10 Air India Express plane crash – 158 killed
- 5/9/10 Earthquake 7.2 mag Northern Sumatra, Indonesia
- 5/1/10 Flooding in Nashville, Tennessee
- 4/20/10 Deepwater Horizon (Gulf of Mexico BP) oil spill
- 4/14/10 Eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull Volcano Iceland, air travel stopped for 9 days
- 4/6/10 Earthquake 7.8 mag Northern Sumatra, Indonesia
- 4/4/10 Earthquake 7.2 mag Baja California, Mexico
- 2/27 & 2/28/10 Tsunami warning- Hawaii, Alaska, Pacific Basin
- 2/27/10 Earthquake 8.8 mag Maule, Chile
- 2/26/10 Earthquake 7.0 mag Ryukyu Islands, Japan
- 1/12/10 Earthquake 7.0 mag Haiti
- 1/3/10 Earthquake 7.1 mag Solomon Islands
The End is Near – What Should You Do?
If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior and been born again by believing in his sacrifice at the cross for YOU, do it now! Say a prayer and give your life to God, thank him for sending his Son to Earth to die for us, and ask him to take away all your sins so that you might be saved.
This is called being “born again”, dying to the flesh so that you can be reborn to serve God instead. There are only two sides to be on when the day of judgment is here: we’re either with Jesus, or we’re against Him. Make the right choice today!